Wednesday 14 March 2018

Passages - Phase 2 in our Journey and travels - 2018



November 2017 – January 2018.

No 1 – Never say never

“Never say never” – in January 2015 when I left Mel on Passages in Grenada, as I flew off to New Zealand to attend a dear friend’s wedding, I said to myself “Don’t say you will never be back on Passages”. Yes, I must admit that I was dying to get off her and enjoy the luxuries that living on a land base brings. (I will write more about this at a much later stage).

For Mel though, leaving Passages on the hard for so long was an extremely difficult thing to do, as a boat is meant to be in the water.

Over the past 3 years, Mel has been eager to return to Passages but unfortunately due to, let’s just call it “life”, we have only managed to do so now.  Lots of planning has taken place on both our parts, believe it or not.

I was keen to return to Passages on my terms. Last time – the first time, 2014, I was honouring Mel’s desire to own a boat and go sailing. No, I don’t need any awards or “Noddy badges” (an African expression). I have always said that resentment in a relationship is worse than jealousy and I would not want resentment to erode at our pretty secure and special relationship. Returning to Passages now, I know what to expect. Last time I thought I had a fair idea, but on reflection, I was extremely naïve.

Passages at Peake Marine being hauled out of the water.
Mel all along wanted to return to Trinidad to have some work done on Passages, as he had been told the quality of the work was reasonable, along with the price tag.


Mid November 2017, Mel left Perth to fly to Grenada to take Passages out of storage and sail her down to Trinidad to start having all the necessary adjustments and modifications done.












L to R - Cathy, myself and my dear friend Stel .
I decided to stay in Perth until most of the work was completed as I just did not fancy spending time on the hard in a boat yard while I could be doing so much more at home. I am on long service leave from work and my goal for this year is to paint most of our house as it needs refreshing. While Mel was busy working on Passages, I also paid a visit to New Zealand to be with my dear and special friend Stel. 





 Charmaine and I in Time Square
I joined Mel at the beginning of February, stopping off in New York for 2 days, to see our lovely niece, Charmaine who is there on a 6 months secondment. It was freezing! I tried going for a walk down to Time Square as Charmaine’s apartment was a stone throw from there. I only managed about 10 minutes outside in the freezing cold air before I thought I had better head back to the warmth of the apartment, otherwise I would have ended having frost bite! I just did not have the right clothing for such cold temperatures.





Mel had certainly been busy. Here is a list of all the work, or modifications Mel had done:

1.       a new holding tank (involved cutting out some of the main cabin’s structure),

2.       a security door,

3.       the floors in the whole boat have been redone,

4.       the galley has new counter tops (they are so nice!!!),

5.       a drawer under the oven – previously it was just a space where I put pots and pans. Now accessing the pots and pans, is far easier!

6.       A special cabinet for my sewing machine – I know I am spoilt!

7.       Another little cupboard in the galley,

8.       The standing rigging and life-lines were all upgraded,

9.       A HUGE arch to accommodate the big solar panels and easier access to the boat while the dinghy is still up on the davits.

10.   New chaps (covers) on the dinghy.

11.   A new and bigger cockpit table – we can put a plate on it now.

So, as you can see, a tremendous amount of work has been done on Passages. However, nothing ever goes exactly to plan, but that is for another time.


Our security door for the companion way













The Galley with the new counter tops.


An extra cupboard/drawer under the stove for the pots and pans







An extra cupboard to store my sewing machine and it is used as a side table.
















Take care – until next time.
Mel and Caryn
Sv-Passages



If you want to see where we are – go to:


top right corner – search for Passages with the Australian flag – that’s us!